How do I get to yes?
Successful negotiating is a learned ability to use skill and talent to arrive at a win/win result. Following are 7 suggestions on negotiating to your advantage and getting to a win/win yes:
- Don’t be greedy : Start with a fair price and fair counter offer. Asking price and offering prices should be based on recent comparables.
- Ensure you have been complete in your disclosures: Not disclosing a known defect can cause you serious problems after the deal has closed.
- Respect the buyers’ priorities: This makes negotiation much simpler. In the process you can trade off so you both have your needs met.
- Be prepared to compromise:
- Meet in the middle: If there are elements of the contract you cannot agree on try to split the difference.
- Table it : If you are having major disagreements on some element of the contract set it aside and work on another area. Then come back to it.
- Ask for advice: Real estate contract are probably not your specialty. Ask questions and advice along the way.